Wednesday, April 14, 2010

And so it begins...

Well actually, it began nearly 20 years ago when I first decided that I wanted to do this ride.  It's just taken me a while to get organized, prioritized, secure time off work, etc.  Back then I was in pretty decent shape.  Not so much this time around.  But I do have a wealth of "experience".  Yeah, experience.  Experience is what we call the failures that didn't kill us.  And I have a boatload of those! 

My departure date (D-day) is looming less than 10 weeks away, and rather than having spent the past year diligently training I had shoulder surgery, spent some time skiing, spent some time cooking and baking, spent a pile of time and effort reducing the probability that I'll ever see the damage deposit on my apartment again, and generally not riding my bike very much at all.  I've done some reading, though...  Reading that tells me my goal of St John's, Nfld and timeline of 8 weeks is "aggressive" to say the least. 

I'm now finishing up the "research" part of my pre-ride preparations and am well into the procurement phase.  As usual, things didn't go exactly as planned there, either.  Still, I press on. 

T minus 10 weeks and counting...

4 comments:

  1. Way to go Khai! Good to hear from you again, and am looking forward to hearing about your (mis)adventures!

    I wish you well.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Go go go, little Krackerjack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be watching your every revolution. very excited for your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the name KRAC Tour - doing it for yourself. I'll get in trouble for saying this but every that does this or similar things, these days is doing it for someone else - some charity or some other fund raising. Not to take anything away from these efforts, I just prefer my charitable giving to be done in another fashion and to enjoy these epic physical challenges for what they are - epic physical challenges - and leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete