Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 38 - Slacktour

I woke up luxuriously late.  The room where I was sleeping is in the basement - so it was not only nice and cool, but dark as well.  I had stirred a bit when Michelle and Dave were getting ready for work and leaving, but I didn't wake up until after 09:00 - and didn't actually wake up and get out of bed until well past 10:00.  I lay there for a while pondering if I should take a day off, or press on to Quebec City.  Trois Rivieres is a nice town, or so I'd heard.  I had just taken a day off in Ottawa however, and even though I'm no longer time pressed, taking days off still makes me kind of antsy.  I can't explain it - I just like to be moving. 

I packed up my stuff and was rolling by 13:00.  The nice thing about short easy days (~135km to QC) is that I can get away with stuff like leaving at 13:00.  I hadn't eaten before I left, so I stopped at a little roadside casse-croute / bar laitier for a poutine and milkshake chocolat.  Since entering the province, I've been trying to speak primarily French - only reverting to English if it's complicated (complicated being relative, of course).  Ordering food, paying for stuff, etc can all be done pretty easily in French unless I need further explanation.  Hell - I'm even getting decent at the "where are you from/where are you going" conversation en Francais.  :p

I ordered a smoked meat poutine, moyenne, and a milkshake chocolat, grand.  The shake wasn't that big but the poutine was massif!  I threw down and polished all but a few lumps of curd (I swear there was more cheese curd and meat in that thing than there were fries), and it was delicious - but it sat like a lump of concrete in my stomach for the next 3.5hrs. 

Back on the bike I was rolling "slowesque" - not exactly crawling along, but not the brisk pace to which I've become accustomed.  I was feeling bloated and thirsty - but drinking was really hard due to how full I was.  I also had a pretty nice head/cross for a good section of the way.  I stopped a couple of times to buy Gatorade (incidentally, Gatorade seems to have a lock on the market in Quebec - I haven`t seen Powerade in any of the small depanneurs) and chatted with a few locals - many of whom had English skills that rivaled my French, and even one or two that made my French seem good by comparison.  I was a little surprised, but I guess in many of the small towns there's simply no need for English. 

I plugged away, just rolling, and the road was pretty flat until maybe 40km out of Quebec.  Then it started to get a little hilly.  Not big hills, but rollers.  I passed the town limits sign at a little after 20:00 and thought that I had beaten my inital estimate of 21:00 by a good margin - but I was still a ways from Old Town.  The airport is pretty far out.  Rolling, rolling, rolling.  I had a decent idea as to where I was going, but when a police car pulled in front of me and stopped at a red light, I figured I'd take the opportunity to verify.

(pointing up the road)
"Excuse, est centre ville dans la rue?"
"Oui.  Ou allez vous?"
"Le Marriott, Courtyard"
"Ah... oui..."

>> very fast conversation with her partner
"Continuez dan la rue est a droit en la boul primiere..."
>> more fast conversation with her partner
>> very fast French (to me) that I didn't get entirely
at this point my eyes must have widened - I didn't say anything or make any gestures
"Do you speak English?"
"Yes"
"Do you have a map?"
"Yes"
"Let's pull over there"
(pointing to an empty lot to the right)
In English, she told me that it was very easy in a car but that on a bicycle it was more complicated because I can't take the highway - but she showed me where to go on my map.

I thanked her and she was on her way.  I looked at my map one more time and rolled on.  It was a little more complicated than I had expected as I approached town, but it wan't all that bad.  It was hilly though.  I had forgotten that Quebec City was built as a fortress on a hill, and was expecting to roll down towards the water - like I would in Vancouver, Seattle, Boston, or any other town.  Nope - up some STEEP hills to old town, where the Courtyard sign was shining like a beacon in the night.  I crossed onto the sidewalk for the last two blocks because it looked like I couldn't turn left where I wanted to go, and scared the hell out of some poor girl who saw my lamp and thought a car was on the sidewalk.  Have I mentioned how much I love this light?  It RULES!!!

I checked in (en Francais), put my bike in my room and then went out wandering in search of chocolate milk.  Back in the room I grabbed a shower, downed my milk and then headed out to explore the town.  It was only 22:00, tomorrow is an off day, and this town looks way too cool to be holed up resting in my hotel. 

Stats:

Total Elapsed Time: 8hrs
Actual Ride Time: 6:27
Total Distance: 143.4km
Avg Speed: 22.1kph
Max Speed: 52.4kph


POUTINE!!!!! (that's a 7" or 8" round tray with the poutine piled a good 2.5-3" high)



Close-up:

3 comments:

  1. Steep? Hell yes! But you did go right through Basse-Ville to get to Haute-Ville! You might as well have just ridden up the escarpment near Niagara Falls. Same thing! Might have been an easier ride into the Old City through Ste-Foy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is disguising! No wonder it sat in your stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What in the hell is that? Looks like cheese, some sort of doughy substance, Canadian bacon and gravy. Am I close?

    ReplyDelete