Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day16 - Leaving Saskatchewan...

I awoke later than I would have thought given my sleep circumstances, and was not sorry to check out.  I did have breakfast in the hotel however; was was treated to quite a show as the locals stopped by for breakfast or their morning coffee.  There was one pair in particular - a man perhaps in his late 50s and another in what I'd guess to be his mid eighties.  The younger of the two was having breakfast and the elder was drinking an enormous amount of coffee, just looking around pleased as can be.  I can't imagine why the elder gentleman was so thrilled to be sitting there drinking coffee, but his joy was certainly evident and it put a more positive spin on my morning - which given where I woken up, hadn't exactly been all roses thus far. 

I booked it out with intentions of making it as far into MB as possible.  I knew that I wouldn't be able to hit the 'Peg, but I was hoping to get close.  After a couple of hours I stopped at a gas station for some fuel and struck up a conversdation with the clerk who had offerred to fill my bottles.  She lived in MB, about 120km down the road.  She said that if I hadn't made her town by the time she got off work and she passed me on the road, she'd throw me a tow rope.  :p

I had been riding a pretty good tailwind for most of the day, and my ankle was mostly just "background noise" - with the odd flare up.  The lower back was also making minor noises in the background.  Fuel had been decent, but I was tired for some reason.  Maybe it was the lack of interesting scenery?

I pulled into Souris at ~ 17:00 (having lost an hour when I crossed over into MB as SK doesn't do Daylight Savings Time) and stopped for a "Nestea Slush" (a little on the sweet side, but tasty).  Pulled out my map and saw another 75, maybe 80km to the place I had been looking at as a target.  I wasn't too keen on another 3hrs in the saddle at that point, so I figured I'd scout the area for a suitable campsite - if for no other reason than to prove to myself that I'm not too much of a mosquito wuss to camp.  :p  I found an RV campsite and pulled in amongst all the 5th wheel trailers and set up my hammock.  Yeah, I got some looks... 

Pseudo "stealth" camping.  Not true "stealth camping", but I was able to get away with hanging in between a couple of trees that weren't a proper RV pad.  Quick shower, dinner, and hit the hay.

Stats:

Total Elapsed Time: 6:20
Actual Ride Time: 5:22
Total Distance: 157.4km
Avg Speed: 29.3kph
Max Speed: 45.6kph

No comments:

Post a Comment