Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day12 - The Return of the Diesel...

Dawn broke early - or maybe it was the train rumbling through with its whistle blowing.  At any rate, I was up and so were the mosquitos - so I packed up quickly and hit the road.  A new trip record for me, I was rolling by 07:35. 

Not a lot of wind to help push me along this early, so I was moving a little slower than I had been for the past few days.  Relatively unimpressed with what I'd seen of smalltown SK, I opted to stay on Hwy1 rather than my initial plan of heading South on 37 to 13 to avoid traffic.  The shoulders had been great thus far anyway and I wanted to see if Swift Current had anything to offer. 

My ankle was bugging me again and I was really tired.  Nothing in the legs, and my overall energy level was really low.  Oh, so it's going to be one of those days, is it?  I crawled along and made Swift Current (slogan: Where Life Makes Sense) in ~3:20.  Not bad for 80k...  I found a nice coffee shop (hey - this DOES make sense!) and sat down with a snack and a cup of ambrosia.  Chatted with Phil & Julian online for a bit and posted Day9.  I was considering calling it a day right there and then as there really isn't all that much between Swift Current and Moose Jaw - a few small towns spread out over 170km.  On top of the 80km I'd already covered, that would make for a pretty long day.  Finally I decided that I'd better get moving so I packed it up, made 2 quick stops for fuel, and hit it.

By now the winds had picked up, and unlike yesterday there was some cloud cover - so it felt much cooler.  I was making pretty good time and figured I'd just play things by feel.  I was feeling decent so I kept rolling and finally realized that I could make Moose Jaw with just a bit of a push.  Again, I figured I'd just keep rolling until I was done.  Stopped for ice cream and met a family moving to Lethbridge with truck issues, and we chatted for a bit.  Then back on the bike for more.  One thing I've noted about SK is that the road signs are pretty sparse - both in quantity as well as information.  As you leave each town you get a sign telling you how far the next town is - but no information about any other towns along the way, nor anything in between.  That's kind of annoying, but I guess it's less of an issue when you can cross the entire province in a matter of hours by car.  I was doing a time based countdown, assuming that I'd make Moose Jaw by ~20:30, maybe 21:00.  I tried to stop in podunkville for a Coke on a couple of occasions but was stymied by a "town" of nothing but a few solitary houses and gravel roads.  I finally found a gas station in CaronPort and got my Coke.  I was also finally down to the last 21k to Moose Jaw.  The wind died down for my final push, and I had to jack up the effort in order to keep moving at a good clip.  I was done with being on the bike, and just wanted off.  I don't think I could have ever expected to be as happy as I was to finally see the Moose Jaw city limits.  I very briefly consdered heading to the heart of downtown to see what options I had, as I'd heard about some sort of mineral springs here - but instead I opted for one of the first motels I saw.  Laundry, shower, ice bath, pizza (in the tub!) and some checking in on email, etc. 

Tomorrow I might take an "easy day" and just roll into Regina.  We'll see...


Stats:

Total Elapsed Time: 13.5hrs
Actual Ride Time: 9:49
Distance Traveled: 260.12km
Avg Speed: 26.4kph
Max Speed: 55.3kph

12 day total: 1808.4km
12 day avg: 150.67km/day


Exactly...



My favourite time of day - the sun is just starting to go down and it's cooling off...



This is the sort of rolling terrain I've seen all throughout SK - but the shoulder hasn't always been this good...

7 comments:

  1. Simply "Wow"!

    Sounds like the signage in rural France, you get a sign saying "Deauville 25km" then the frenh version of "you are leaving Deauville" nothing in between to say Welcome to Deauville!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monster day indeed :)
    Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow dude, ride any faster and you'd be getting into ontario faster than I did in my chevy 3 years back. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see what you would rack up in a day if your body wasn't hurting. You may as well keep riding and hook up with Le Tour.... you are cruising

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sausage rolls and coke: clearly, the diet of champions. Nice work, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Khai,
    My name is John Ciancio. You met me, my wife Valerie, and our two children at the ice cream shop near Moose Jaw. We are the ones moving to Lethbridge, Alberta with the truck problems. We solved our truck problems shortly after you rode away and have made it safely to Lethbridge. We just wanted to say good luck to you on your journey. We are fasinated at your spirit, courage, and your confident persuit of a childhood dream. The world needs more big dreamers and "just do it" souls such as yourself. May God bless you with travel graces and keep watch over you. May he also bless your family and friends as they await your safe return.

    ReplyDelete