Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day14 - Pret-a-Porter

Pret-a-porter, or "ready to wear", is a term used in the fashion world.  Designers make one-offs of their latest no-holds barred creations and models strut them on the catwalk before a bedazzled group of industry peers and extremely wealthy fashionistas.  After being shown and reviewed, these pieces generally go for tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.  I had brought with me one "nice" pair of pants (Quina's suggestion) and had been wearing them around town whenever I went out.  They have started to get loose, to the point
where they no longer stay up on their own - especially when I have stuff in the pockets.  I discovered the full extent of this as I went out and about on my day off - and resolved the situation late in the evening with a stroke of beerliance (that's beer-insipred brilliance).  My own bit of inspiration making my pants once again, pret-a-porter

Today was a full rest day.  No cycling, no forward progress.  I woke up still very tired and though the RMT that had been recommended to me was all booked up, I managed to get an appointment with a different one.  I had breakfast, took a short nap, and then walked out to the RMT's office - handily only a few kilometers away.  While I had my legs worked on I chatted with the therapist about Regina and asked her what I shouldn't miss while in town.  She recommended an ice cream shop that I absolutely HAD to check out (you know... if you're into ice cream) and so after my session I wandered over there.  It wasn't that far from my hotel in the other direction.  I have to say, that was probably the best soft-serve I've ever had.  It was rich and creamy in a way that soft serve typically isn't - more like frozen custard than ice cream.  It was awesome!  It was also really hot out, so if you don't eat ice cream quickly you'd have lost a lot of it.  Luckily, I had no such problem. 

Back to the hotel where I chilled out watching "Rio Bravo" and then it was back to the Bushwakker for a planned early dinner and then an early night.  Well... the early dinner part happenned.  I ordered the 1/2 plate of nachos and a platter big enough to feed four of me appeared.  I asked "this is the half?" and my waitress just laughed - obviously used to this reaction.  Yes, this was indeed the half.  I attacked it valliantly, but like Don Quiote, had no real chance of success from the get go.  Shortly after the platter was whisked away (and if it had been rearranged nicely and re-topped with cheese, could still have been served as the full order at many pubs I've visited) I recieved a tap on the shoulder.  It was my server from last night, with a few other employees and locals inviting me to join them at their table.  Well it would be rude to turn them down...  Magically another beer appeared - courtesy of one of the locals.  On the first Friday of each month they have "First Firkin Friday" where they parade a firkin of specially brewed beer out with a piper and then have one of the patrons tap the keg - typically resulting in a beer soaking.  I had missed the parade, but was presented with a pint of the special First Firkin Friday beer for the month - a double version of the extremely tasty beer that I had sampled the night before (and was drinking once again).  Delicious.  I have to say, I remain extremely impressed with this brewpub - it's definitely the Jewel of the Queen City and may in fact may be the very best man made thing between the borders of BC and Ontario. 

They were a great group, full of suggestions for my trip (skip Northern Ontario and spend that time on the Cabot Trail) and generally a lot of fun.  My early night slipped away from me but I did manage to keep it somewhat reigned in, leaving by ~ 22:00.  I went for a brief walk to enjoy the evening on my way back to the hotel and then got caught up watching Wall Street before finally knocking off at around midnight. 

Fare the well, Regina - you've treated me like family and I've come away with a new appreciation for your fine city. 


Regina's best kept secret?




ICE CREAM!!!!!




Pret-a-Porter

3 comments:

  1. Ice cream? Yum. But why did you have the infants size? Wow, Regina treated you well, Winnie will have to go some to beat that.

    You've had your fun, now back on the road you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So ice cream and good beer is all it takes to buy your loyalty? (And speaking as your big sis, you may want to ingest either fruit or vegetables at some point. Scurvy might slow your pace.) Happy trails tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the "belt". Let's see how much further you have to go before you have to buy new pants hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete